The Food Fortification Resource Centre has been envisaged as a Resource and Support Centre to promote large-scale fortification of food across India. This initiative follows the Joint Declaration by all stakeholders to fight micronutrient malnutrition through fortification of food at the National Summit for Fortification of Food, held on October 16-17, 2016 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The initiative is being headed by a team of Coordinators at the Centre who are driving the effort nationwide.
Objectives of FFRC -
1. Sensitise states about fortification of food and promote fortified foods in state nutrition programmes.
2. Provide technical support especially to small scale food manufacturers to enable them to produce fortified foods.
3. To educate people about the benefits of fortification and consume fortified foods.
4. To train and build capacity for large-scale fortification of foods and provide tools for monitoring and evaluation of fortification programmes.
5. To provide communication material, technical, scientific and financial support to promote large-scale fortification of food.
Online Portal of the Food Fortification Resource Centre has been set up to aid in realisation of these objectives. The portal serves two very important purpose –
1. Providing all information pertaining to fortification of food such as scientific evidence, latest fortification technology, national and international experience and best practices.
2. To serve as a platform for interaction between all stakeholders, such as Central Ministries, Development Partners and particularly food manufacturers, processers and fortification pre-mix makers.
© Copyright 2016 FSSAI